Parental Alienation: You Can Take Legal Action to End It

Parental AlienationDivorce sometimes ends on a nasty note – both parties may have strong feelings of negativity towards each other, which only separation can repair. Even then, parents who share custody may attempt to continue engaging in vindictive behavior by involving the child.

They may try to turn the child against the other parent by saying bad things about them. They may paint the other parent as a malicious, uncaring beast, often with no justification at all. Unfortunately, it is almost always successful, as children are young and impressionable. This behavior is known as parental alienation.

The Law Offices of Ian S. Mednick, a team of divorce lawyers in Suffolk County, NY, states that it is possible to take legal action against such abusive behavior. Parental alienation not only distresses the affected parent, but damages the child as well.

Defining Parental Alienation

Parental alienation almost always involves bullying by one parent. They try to malign the other parent by giving them a bad reputation. They could say things like “Your mother says you are a horrible, ungrateful child, and that she doesn’t care about you”, even if you have never said anything of the sort. They could also block access to your child, spinning lies so that your child would hate you.

Recommended:  Leaving a Marriage for the Sake of the Children

Eventually, the constant exposure to negative behaviors causes the child to behave poorly towards the affected parent, alienating them completely.

Legal Action

It comes to no surprise that the alienated parent would feel incredibly hurt and confused by their child’s actions. Though you are no longer together with your spouse, you are still extremely an extremely dedicated parent. Seeing your child act harshly or coldly towards you because of the words of your ex-spouse is heartbreaking, to say the least.

Fortunately, the State of New York acknowledges the severity of parental alienation, and you can take your case to court.

Winning your case will allow you to modify the custody, issue a court order against the offending parent, or even request supervised parenting time for them. This will helpfully allow you to reconnect with your child and undo the damage that has been done.

Related Posts